Little word: big difference

It's a new year, and just like last year, I wanted to ask God to give me word for the new year, to guide me, to inspire me, and to be a theme for me. I've been thinking about this for a couple of weeks, and the word freedom popped into my head one day as I was walking, but it didn't seem quite right...too easy almost... so I kept thinking, then I started sharing with people that I was looking for a word, and the pressure was on, I knew they would ask me what I chose...or what chose me! As I went through a fun long weekend and an enjoyable New Year's Eve with friends, I still didn't really have a word... just before bed, I read a verse from Streams in the Desert which came from Deuteronomy 11, here set on the background of my view of Taipei 101 on new year's eve:


It kind of inspired me to remember that God is there among all the beginnings and endings. In fact, 2012 was a year of many endings for me. The end of my 20s, the completion of my master's degree, and a lot of changes in other areas. And all through the year, the words Ask and Wisdom were with me. I have found that God does answer, and that he is willing to make our paths straight when we trust in him. When I woke up this morning, my bible was still in Deuteronomy, and so I read the whole chapter. It begins with an admonition to share God with others as one who has experienced Him first hand. I did not just hear about God, I know him. I am in relationship with him. And I have seen him work miracles in my life. Then, toward the end of the chapter, there is a verse (v. 26) which is found in similar words often throughout Deuteronomy. “Look, today I am giving you the choice between a blessing and a curse!"

And there it was. My word. Choice. Freedom leads to choice. It offers choices but also the responsibility to choose. But my word is not choose, it's choice... as I looked deeper, here are a few things I've found.



  • Choice is an option, and an opportunity
  • Choice requires the right or power to choose
  • Choice also implies an abundance or variety of things to choose from
  • Choice as an adjective refers to the best or most preferable part of something
That's encouraging right? Suddenly a year of hope and abundance opens up before me. But that is only one part. A quick search of bible references shows that the word "choice" was often used to describe the offerings we are required to give to God. He wants the "choicest" parts of us, and in return, he promises to open the floodgates of heaven and pour out a blessing of abundance. Whenever we give to God, we never come away empty. So that's the choice I want to make for 2013.


It will be a challenge. If you know me well, you know I tend toward being indecisive...to choosing the path or least resistance, or doing what I think will make others happy. So I think it will be hard to me to make some choices in the next year. But maybe that's why God's given me a whole year to work on it.

To read more about the word choices others are making, visit this blog.

Comments

  1. Anonymous6:00 pm

    Hi, this is Gloria Tsai from Eatgo. Can I share some of your travel articles on our website? It will be under your name with reference and web link to your blog. Our company is a currently not-for-profit website that shares information on tourism in Taiwan to all bloggers and travelers. Our aim is to invite more people to come to taiwan and share their experiences. You can check out our website at www.eatgo.com~Thank you. My e-mail is gloria@eatgo.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment